Outage notifications available in SmartHub
Would you like to know when the power is out at your home when you are away? Would you like to be notified when power has been restored to your account?
Valley Rural Electric Cooperative recently activated a set of outage notifications in SmartHub®. SmartHub is Valley REC's electronic account presentment, management, and payment software. Since its availability in 2015, the program has enabled members who have registered their accounts to receive notifications about their bills and payments. Now outage and service notifications have been added to the list.
Registered users of SmartHub can choose what type of service and outage notifications they want to receive and how they want to receive them. Notifications can be sent as text messages and e-mails. Members can choose to receive one format or both. Notifications include new service request created, planned power outage, power outage, and power outage restored.
To start receiving any of the service/outage notifications, follow these steps.
- If you have not registered your account in SmartHub, you must do that first. Every account for which you want to receive notifications must be registered. If you have already registered, log into SmartHub and skip to the next numbered step.
- Access the SmartHub log-in screen by clicking the View & Pay Bill button at the top of any page, the SmartHub My Account button on the home page, or the SmartHub Access My Account button in the right sidebar.
- Click the "Sign up to access our Self Service Site" link.
- As prompted on the registration screen, enter your billing account number, your last name or the name of your business, and your e-mail address. Click the Submit button.
- To add an e-mail address, click the Add E-mail Contact button and then enter the e-mail address at the prompt.
- To add a cell phone number, click the Add Phone Contact button and then enter the phone number and check the Receive Text Messages box.
- Activate each contact that you want to use by clicking its Activate button.
If at any time you want to stop receiving outage notifications (or any other notifications), simply log into SmartHub and update your settings under Manage Notifications.