Valley Rural Electric Cooperative's board of directors wants to recognize the most scholarly and community-minded young leaders by inviting high school juniors to apply for its new scholarship. This educational award is separate from the Brighter Future scholarship program, which is open to high school seniors and adult students. In this high school junior program, scholarship funding is awarded directly to students and can be used toward future education-related expenses.
This opportunity is open to students who are in one of the following categories.
- A junior enrolled in one of the public high schools (see list below) whose school district lies wholly or partly in Valley REC service territory, whether or not the household is served by Valley REC.
- Altoona Area High School
- Central High School
- Claysburg-Kimmel High School
- Fannett-Metal High School
- Forbes Road Junior/Senior High School
- Hollidaysburg Area Senior High School
- Huntingdon Area High School
- Juniata High School
- Juniata Valley High School
- McConnellsburg High School
- Mifflin County High School
- Mount Union Area High School
- Northern Bedford County High School
- Southern Fulton Junior/Senior High School
- Southern Huntingdon County High School
- Tussey Mountain High School
- Tyrone Area High School
- Williamsburg High School
- A junior who lives in our service area and is either home-schooled or enrolled in a private, charter, or cyber school, whether or not the household is served by Valley REC.
- A junior whose parents or guardians are seasonal Valley REC account holders.
How to Apply
A copy of the scholarship application is available below.
High School Juniors Scholarship Application (PDF, 317 KB)
Application Deadline - April 7, 2024
Applications and all required information must be returned by April 7, 2024, via one of the following methods.
- Mailed to Valley Rural Electric Cooperative at the address on the application with a postmark no later than the deadline date.
- E-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a time-stamp no later than the deadline date.
- Delivered in-person to one of our offices by the deadline date.
A committee of the cooperative's directors will select recipients based on academic achievement, as well as participation in extracurricular activities and/or community service. Successful applicants will receive their funds in mid-June.
Please direct questions to Member Services - Juniors Scholarship or call 800-432-0680.